Monday, February 20, 2006

Take that, Frenchy!

Click here to go through an annotated game I won against the French Sunday night (note it is a Java applet so it may take a minute to load, which is why I didn't put it directly on this page). I was happy with the game. Luckily, my opponent was kind enough to hand me an awful move near the end, and I was able to capitalize on this.

One thing that seems to be helping my game a little bit is not only trying to play with a plan, but playing as if my opponent is playing with a plan, and trying to figure out his plan on every move. While I didn't always respond to his plan in this game because I knew I could meet it anyway, it really seemed to help me stay on top of what was happening in this game. More than usual, anyway. This seems to be a useful enough thinking strategy that I should probably incorporate it into Chessplanner.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Nice game. Congrats

2/20/2006 05:52:00 PM  
Blogger katar said...

You played magnificently and i enjoyed the notes too.

Besides being up a whole army, you have a forced mate at the end, my friend.

32.g5+ fg (forced else 33.Rh+ mates) 33.Ng4+ Kh5 34.Qxg#

I look forward to more of your games. I am about to post one of mine. (I have a blog now, yay!)

2/20/2006 07:27:00 PM  
Blogger Calvin said...

now i really want to know what the heck that chessplanner thing is. :) good game.

2/20/2006 08:49:00 PM  
Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

You liar! Telling everybody what a bad player you are while in the meantime you're driving your opponents over the edge of the board...

Well played there professor ;-)

BTW, i hate to meet the French myself. They say the Tarrasch variation is best against it...

2/21/2006 01:17:00 AM  
Blogger funkyfantom said...

I don't mean to detract in any way from your fine performance indeed, but anyone who plays 3. ...Nc6 as Black has probably never heard of the French defense.
Once again though, fine game!

2/21/2006 07:40:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

FF: I'm sure we both made lots of stupid mistakes! I don't know anything in the French as white besides the fact that I instinctively play the advance variation, and then just go from there trying to use principles. I don't even know what black's book move is after that. :O

2/21/2006 08:27:00 PM  
Blogger funkyfantom said...

I thought that maybe that 3. ...Nc3 might be the worst move on the board that doesn't actually lose material, so I looked up the stats at the chessgames.com database.

It was played in 4 games out of about 2000, with 3. ...c5 coming in at 95%
of all games in the Advance variation.
White won three of the four games.

2/21/2006 10:58:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Patrick, your blog looks great! I am about to link it on the sidebar...

2/21/2006 11:59:00 PM  
Blogger King of the Spill said...

Look out everyone, here he comes!

This kind of thing might conflict with your blog's title, as you are not playing like a novice anymore. Congratulations, well done.

2/24/2006 01:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home