Monday, February 06, 2006

A deluxe apartment in the sky

I've decided to move on from Tasc Chess Tutor (TCT) after I finish problem number 1500, which should happen within week's end. There are many reasons for this switch. The main reason is that I have been working on TCT for nine months, and want to move on to The Circles. I want to learn the simplest tactical motifs cold. Flat. Fast. No thinking. Inside and out. You get the idea. I will still use the TCT instructional lectures as a supplement, though. They are a great resource (though in the later sections the English translations are getting notably more shoddy).

I will learn simple tactical motifs by doing The Circles using a close sibling of CT-Art, Chess Tactics for Beginners (CTB):


It contains over 1300 problems, and the interface is a lot like CT-Art. I am not quite ready for The Circles. As per the plan, I will stick with Precircles 2 and 3. That is, I'll work through Seirawan's Play Winning Chess for more general understanding and especially strategy (Precircle 2), and then his Winning Chess Tactics (Precircle 3). Then, finally...The Circles!

7 Comments:

Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey BD,

I did exactly what you are doing now. I too started with Seirawan's books (Play WC, WC Openings, WC Tactics). In fact I did WCT three times in a row when I first started. First time through was 1 week (read every word), second time through was 3 days (skimmed) and third time was about a day (problems only).

One piece of advice. Don't get discouraged by the test at the end. I still had a hard time with some of the problems on my fifth time through the book.

PS

2/06/2006 02:28:00 PM  
Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Oh, and one more thing. If it's not too late I would like to recommend Wolff's "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Chess" over "Play Winning Chess". I read both books and liked Wolff's much better. Usually I don't like the Idiot's Guide series but this one was an exception. I've already read it through twice and am considering purchasing the book instead of borrowing it from the library.

PS

2/06/2006 02:33:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Thanks PS. Perhaps I'll add the Idiot's guide at some point. It does seem to be the most popular general intro book. I'm only reading Seirawan's Play Winning Chess as a build up to his Winning Chess Tactics.

2/06/2006 02:52:00 PM  
Blogger takchess said...

I like Seriwan opening book. It goes step by step with Nice Diagrams of the major openings: at least the main line. Also I see you are looking for openings ideas;
Why not the grob as white? A fun offbeat attacking offence.
http://www.logicalchess.com/resources/openings/grob/index.html
Check out this link and the bio!

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=72632&kpage=4

2/08/2006 05:58:00 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Variety is the spice of study.

2/08/2006 06:57:00 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Sounds like a good idea, BDK.

2/09/2006 09:38:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG The Circles. . .


Seems like it's been months since I did them. . .oh wait,it has been months. . .


Never mind. [grin]

Seriously, I admire your discipline in this endeavor. Many souls have been laid waste in the Circles. . .and I don't know of anyone who has gone through as much prepatory work for the Circles as have you.

2/10/2006 05:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home