Monday, February 13, 2006

R.I.P. T.C.T.

I am finished with Precircle 1 of the Divine Tragedy. It consisted of the first 1500 problems of Tasc Chess Tutor. It took me 10 months, probably working an average of three hours a week (much less initially, more near the end). I worked through each section 3-4 times, until I got at least 80% correct on every ten-question test. In total, I probably worked through about 4500 problems. Here are the overall results from the Tutor:


Frankly, I have no idea if it helped me, or what I think about it. My ICC rating has gone up about 150 points in the past 10 months, so it may have helped. I am just glad to be done and am looking forward to moving on. In time I will better be able to evaluate the program.

During Precircle 2, I will work through, in parallel, Fine's amazing book Chess the Easy Way, Wolff's the Idiot's Guide to Chess, and Seirawan's Play Winning Chess. I will also earnestly try to apply my thought process, Chessplanner, in long games (40/10). I expect all this to take two to three months.

I'm gonna take a couple of days just to do nothing chess related, unless I feel the urge...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

2/14/2006 07:21:00 AM  
Blogger Calvin said...

what is your thought process "chessplanner" ? congratulations on finishing

2/14/2006 08:37:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Generalkaia, I'll post about Chessplanner once I've fine-tuned it via OTB play. It incorporates bits of wisdom from Heisman, Reuben Fine, Frisco Del Rosario, and others into a thought process that emphasizes planning, pattern recognition, and Real Chess.

2/14/2006 11:04:00 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Frankly, I have no idea if it helped me
You should try to find somebody who plays for 10 month and look if you can beat him a few times. Then you will see the difference.

2/15/2006 06:24:00 AM  
Blogger katar said...

During your break, you should trademark Chessplanner (TM) and Divine Tragedy (TM).

The mark of a genius is naming the plans one has devised to improve at chess.

Just another reason why this blog is a joy to read. :D

2/15/2006 06:56:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

I think Patrick, that you mean that it is the sign of an egomaniacal psycho kook to coin neologisms and put (TM) after everything. Like the Matrix (TM) chess system.

If I were a Chess Genius (TM) I wouldn't waste so much time naming things and studying this stupid game :)

2/15/2006 09:43:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well done!

Kick back for a few days but than jump right back in!

2/16/2006 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger King of the Spill said...

Good job. I look forward to some future post saying , "This situation was just like one in TCT...".

2/17/2006 02:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home