Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Chess Tactics Server: How Accurate?

Well,I finally got hooked on it tonight. I played 26 problems while running rats at lab. You guys aren't kidding when you say it is addictive. My rating there is 1062 (I purposely stopped after a success so it is inflated :) ). My moniker there is BlueDevil.

I was wondering how accurate the Knights think the solutions are. Has anyone found any solutions that are wrong? UPDATE: In the comments, Mousetrapper pointed out this growing list of potentially problematic problems at CTS.

UPDATE: I just noticed that, with a rating of 1062, I have the honor of being in the bottom ten ranked active tacticians at Chess Tactics Server!

8 Comments:

Blogger Temposchlucker said...

while running rats at lab

Is that an English saying I don't know (like smelling a rat) or what the heck where you doing?

8/18/2005 02:43:00 AM  
Blogger King of the Spill said...

He's teaching animals to play chess! ;-)

8/18/2005 03:39:00 AM  
Blogger Nezha said...

>while running rats in lab

I think bluedevil is a scientist. And this is what scientists do, run rats in lab while fiddling with chess-related stuffs. Personally, i'm not much into playing chess while subjecting various small rodents to tort.. er.. experiments, but hey, to each his own.. =>

8/18/2005 05:03:00 AM  
Blogger bahus said...

I've been checking the murky problems that I don't understand with Fritz and yes, I've come across some faulty ones. However, usually the fault is in me. I'd estimate that only 1/1000 might have a stronger solution. What has been common to all the problems with mistakes is that their ratings have been over 1800, i.e. people play very seldom the "right" line.

- bahus

8/18/2005 05:48:00 AM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Yes 'running rats' usually means 'training rats in a Skinner box'. Sometimes it means 'recording from their brains while they run around in the Skinner box.' Sometimes it means, 'Fiddling away doing nothing on the internet for an hour while I should be working.' Here is the site of the lab in which I am a post-doc.

8/18/2005 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Training rats? I have allready problems to train myself. Are there techniques to train that are usable for me?

8/18/2005 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Christian said...

Yes, some CTS problems are flawed. Comments are here.

8/19/2005 01:05:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was wondering whether you had the time to play Chess at http://www.redhotpawn.com/
It's free.

I desperately need some practice. In case you can, my UserId is IndianGuru.

8/27/2005 05:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home