Saturday, September 09, 2006

Minicircles 1-4 done

I've worked through my first problem set four times now. It is Stage 1 of Chess Tactics for Beginners, which consists of 120 mostly easy mate-in-one problems. I am starting to do many of them without thinking (some I would have done without thinking anyway: there are a couple of elementary back-rank mates in there). It is a strange feeling, blowing through problems without effort. It feels like cheating, like I should be slowing down and thinking things through more. If it were a game, of course, I would have to do that, but such rapid pattern recognition is what I'm trying to attain. I just need to remember not to get cocky and think that it means I can play like this in real games!

If I could spot every two move mate and tactic on every move this way, I'd probably be rated four hundred points higher...

Percent Correct in Circles

Mini-Circle 1
MC2
MC3MC4
Problem Set 1
989999100
PS 2



PS 3


PS 4


PS 5


NOTE: Circles done with CTB.

3 Comments:

Blogger transformation said...

very good work my friend! is your over the board rating the same, better, or other now? in the end, we all wish for concrete results.

i am ready to push from 19,000 at CTS to 20,000, then do more CT-ART 3.0...

just to say hello from up in the north here, and the summer heat will end soon your end... david

ps i will be very glad when the last 9-11 story is told this week, and prefer not to feel all this emotion... i dont know about you eric, but in one way or another, i was there.

9/10/2006 02:40:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Transformation: we'll see if my rating is affected. I've been doing this less than a week. I sure hope it helps.

9/10/2006 03:54:00 PM  
Blogger Zweiblumen said...

Congrats on the completion of the minicircles.

I'm here for another reason though...I took the dive and started my own chess improvement blog. I'm not sure I'm going to put myself through the pain of the formalized circles yet, but I do know I'll be doing lots of tactics puzzles.

strongamongtheweak.blogspot.com

I wonder how long I can keep this up....

9/10/2006 10:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home