Monday, March 30, 2009

Chess rants (एंड वही इस थिस इन अरबिक)

This post contains enough whining that you should imagine it being read aloud by Andy Rooney.


Went to chess club Saturday. It was pretty good. My first in-person trotting out of the Bird's opening, and I destroyed him. He played into a horrible line for black that I had been studying that morning. I really like the Bird. I like it so much so that I almost don't want to talk about it here, as when I begin talking about openings here people become little bitches and try to ruin it for me.

What is it about openings that turns grown men into know-it-all bitches? I'm as guilty as anyone. When people mention the French Defense I become a superlative dink.

Since I'm complaining already, let me continue. Have you ever had an experience where a new chess player shows up and you and another player are both competing to give him advice, and you get annoyed because you know you kick ass at giving beginners advice while the other person is saying shit that is too confusing for a beginner?

Also, why is blogger "autocorrecting" all the words I type in my title, replacing them with arabic script? WTF.

Overall, though, I'm in a good mood. Did a lot of chess this weekend, learning about the Slav finally, which is very cool. James Vigus' introductory chapter in 'Play the Slav' is a model of how to write about an opening. It's one of those pieces of chess literature that makes you grateful to the author for thinking deeply about his subject matter, digesting it, and then describing it to the neophyte in a form that is easier to eat. Much like a mother bird will eat a dead animal, then regurgitate it for her young. Thanks, Vigus, for throwing up the Slav into my mouth!

8 Comments:

Blogger From the patzer said...

For opening advise ... see someone who knows what (s)he is talking about and then blog about it so i also know what (s)he had to say.

Not all people can give chess lesson in a way that it benefits a beginner. But i guess the person you are talking about was of good will and that must also count for something.

The slav is indeed a good opening, maybe a bit static (atleast when i play it) but what is good stays good so enjoy that opening.

3/30/2009 03:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been in a battle for best beginner's advice, no, but I have seen some fierce kibitz battles. I was attending a chess lecture at my club the other day, and two or three spectators kept murmuring candidate moves while the lecturer was shifting the pieces on the presentation board around; suddenly two of the kibitzers got into a stupid fight about a king move. Very silly. Why can't they just keep their mouths shut and listen to what the presenter has to say? It's not as though everyone else in the audience *doesn't* see that it's mate in one. Pisses me off to no end.

Beautiful metaphor at the end there, by the way.

3/30/2009 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Hey Chunky Rook, thanks! Very cool blog! I'm sidebarring you now. T

3/30/2009 01:04:00 PM  
Blogger Tuirgin said...

Thanks to your blog I've picked up Littlewood's Chess Tactics and have gotten a better idea of how to organize my chess studies.

Quite like the regurgitated Slav image. ;-)

3/30/2009 01:05:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Christopher: thanks for the nice words. I think I will re-use that metaphor of the momma bird. :)

3/30/2009 01:11:00 PM  
Blogger Temposchlucker said...

That isn't Arabic script but Devanagiri. What's used to write Sanskrta and modern Hindi.

3/30/2009 07:24:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Tempo: egads.

3/30/2009 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger BlunderProne said...

Hey... I thought you gave up chess books for Lent or something.

Slav... welcome to my world.

4/01/2009 09:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home