Saturday, December 08, 2007

Silman pgn team project: any volunteers?

EDIT (2014): This never happened, sorry, I don't have the pgn file. We never completed it.


I'm entering all the unique positions from Silman's Endgame book into a pgn file (Amazon page here). It will take me a long time doing it alone. Anyone else interested in contributing chapters so we can get the thing done quickly, please email me and I'll organize who can do which chapters. I've done the first chapter (includes positions from the chapter and the puzzles at the end) to provide an example of formatting we might use.

Email me if interested at: bluedevil dot
knight -at- yahoo -dot- com.

I blew a won game yesterday because of endgame idiocy. I may post it soon. We each had six pawns or so, and I had a bishop and knight to his knight. I proceeded to put all my pawns on the same color squares as my bishop, allow two of his pawns to pass after exchanging knights.

Every month or so I lose a game because my endgame skills are weak, I forget to think of plans, move too quickly. Each time I do it I get motivated to study the things more...

12 Comments:

Blogger Chessaholic said...

BDK: I thought this link might be of interest to you. Take a look at "Game Collections from Books" in the downloads section. While I don't think it has Silman's latest endgame book, there's lots of good stuff there.

12/08/2007 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger BlunderProne said...

IS teh Silman Endgame book called "Essential Chess Endings Explained Move by Move" by Jeremy Silman..... if so, check out number 42 on this web page:

http://wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/gossimit/c/book.htm

12/08/2007 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

BP: no, it's his new book Silman's Endgame Course. Amazon page here.

12/09/2007 01:09:00 AM  
Blogger Loomis said...

From Michael Stean's Simple Chess: "Many people reason 'If I put my pawns on the same colored squares as my Bishop, I can defend them there'. If you commit hari-kiri instead, you won't have to defend them at all. The two solutions are roughly equivalent, give or take the problem of cleaning the blood off the board." This is from the chapter on "Black squares and White squares". Stean has a way of saying things that you've heard before or feel like you kind of already know, but in a way that makes you consider them more important.

12/09/2007 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Stean rules! I have that book. I should take a look someday :)

12/09/2007 08:50:00 PM  
Blogger Liquid Egg Product said...

I'd actually be glad to help, but I won't really have time until the week of the 17th (have to finish a program and a website)...and I still have to buy the book.

Let me know if you still have stuff, and I'll pitch in.

12/10/2007 02:02:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

LEP: cool. I'll put you on the list. So far you are the second person to show an interest.

Note it won't be all that much work. I'm just entering the diagrams, not any text, not the solutions, just enough to make it easier to work through the book and play around with the answers some.

12/10/2007 04:46:00 PM  
Blogger Chessaholic said...

I spent some time at Barnes&Noble last night, and Silman's book was staring at me with big sad eyes, like "please buy me". Of course I gave in.

I'll be happy to join the effort and pitch in a few chapters.

12/11/2007 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Chessaholic: great! Just email me so I can have you on the list. I'll probably send out an email to everyone (I'm now hopeful there will be at least four of us) sometime next week.

12/11/2007 12:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's the Silman pgn project going? Need any additional help? I have some experience having done Znosko-Borovsky's How to Play Chess Endings at http://www.gambitchess.com/index2.htm (click on Free DB books and see bottom of page) and GM-RAM. I also tried to do the beginning of Rook Endings by Smyslov & Levenfish. Let me know if you need my help.

12/31/2007 06:43:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Soapstone: yes, email me.

1/01/2008 06:19:00 PM  
Blogger SVC said...

Hi,

Could you please send me the pgn file for Silman's end game course? I am requesting this for my child. Thanks.

5/25/2014 03:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home