Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Circle 1, Day 34

I'm in the middle of slashing through a bunch of mate in two problems. This is a lot of fun. I'm quite glad I've broken up the problems by theme in Circle 1 (e.g., mate in two with a bishop). King of the Spill's mating patterns, which in the beginning seemed abstractly interesting, are burning themselves into my brain for each piece. I am already starting to solve new problems faster, and with more accuracy, than with my first couple of hundred mating exercises. It's a lot like when I etched the knight's moves into my brain using de la Maza's Knight Sight drills. This is exactly what I needed!

Also, I've been playing the Blackmar-Diemer (blitz) at Kurnik. Hopefully it is pushing me to err on the side of reckless attacking, as through game analysis I realized I was playing much too passively.

Circle #12345678
Total #7197195935931312131213121312
# Done4970000000
% Correct94nanananananana

6 Comments:

Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

So you've found Kurnik as well, have you? Kinda cool place to play, ain't it?

5/16/2006 03:05:00 AM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Kurnik is great. Free, no crappy ads, with a simple Java interface. I don't like the board design, but I'm getting used to it.

Also, it's the only place to play my favorite game, Hex, online. For some reason, Hex is very popular in Poland (Kurnik is a Polish site).

5/16/2006 03:18:00 AM  
Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

Well, whaddayaknow. You even get to play your favourite game ;-) Glad to see you found a place to play it at. Maybe i'll look into Hex someday. And your right about the board design. It took me some getting used to myself. But then again, almost everytime i visit a different or new server i have to get used to their designs.

5/16/2006 09:06:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Edwin, I've been playing at Kurnik for over four years, pretty much since it started. While it is nice that they have hex, the hex lobby is usually empty (this is why they discontinued hex at Playsite, an awful free site).

Because of the typically empty hex lobby at Kurnik, I decided to try my luck at chess, which always has full lobbies and which is available at pretty much every game server that exists.

I'll teach you hex sometime if you want. My handle at Kurnik is 'neuronet'.

5/17/2006 09:59:00 AM  
Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

If i ever catch you there (online), i'll make sure to look you up ;-)

5/18/2006 07:14:00 AM  
Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

better yet, i've added you to my contacts! If you want, you can add me to yours. My handle at Kurnik is 'dutchdefence'.

5/18/2006 07:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home