Monday, May 14, 2007

Tonight's tournament game

Tonight's tournament game in the 45/45 league can be found at this link without annotation. I won as white against some weird passive defense. I feel happy with this game.

I didn't make any horrible blunders, and I didn't make a bunch of passive moves in response to phantom threats like I usually do, I faced a hedghog like situation and didn't panic, I came up with a long-term plan that actually worked (castling queenside, but beforehand making threatening moves on the kingside to give me a head start on the pawn race that would undoubtedly ensue), and it was the first game in which I actually visualized a mate in four. Not too impressive, I know, as all the moves were forcing (with check), but still, I usually don't keep my head and do the analysis in such situations. I get lazy and make moves that look safe. My favorite move is 32 Qg6!. Instead of responding to the phantom threat of check from his queen on a1 (my coach yells at me every week for responding to phantom threats with moves that simply make my position passive and weak), I went in for blood after analyzing his check and seeing that it seems to leave him with nothing special.

Anyway, a fun game that gave our team the win for this round of the tournament.

5 Comments:

Blogger hisbestfriend said...

Nice game. And goes to show why tactics are important. Your opponent just simply cannot leave your knignt unmolested with that kind of attack going on. He needed to simplify and pick up that knight on move 18. But you may still have won with that powerful a game.

He needs to stop doing openings like that, if he cannot accurately defend. It is just a future of minuses...

But, well done, good job taking that silliness apart. An excellent plan.

5/14/2007 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Yes, good point about move 18. In practice it would have let him back in the game. He always plays like that. My coach, in the last game we analyzed against this player, was like, "Oh, so he wants you to play white" since he played h3 on his second move. I now try to avoid h3 and a3 unless the situation absolutely demands it tactically. Though I still play them too often. :)

5/15/2007 12:54:00 AM  
Blogger Cratercat said...

Interesting game BDK. Was this technically an "irregular opening"? Seemed like a strange hybrid of French & Sicilian motifs. Loved the kingside pawnstorm too.

5/15/2007 02:03:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

cratercat: I have no idea what his opening was, but ICC called it the 'St George Defense.'

5/15/2007 02:55:00 PM  
Blogger likesforests said...

That was a pretty win. It illustrates the concepts of rapid development and gaining space in the opening, and how to capitalize on those advantages once you have them.

5/15/2007 04:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home