Saturday, November 04, 2006

Dancing with the patzers

After consulting Sam Collins' excellent book Understanding the Chess Openings, I have tentatively decided to give the Two Knights Tango a go as my black response to 1. d4 (it normally goes 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 Nc6!?).

It has the ingredients that have made me like my other openings. It is fairly uncommon, it is sound (i.e., GMs play it), and the move sequence is fairly natural after the first two. No crazy sharp lines that I need to memorize 30 moves deep. It is not so unusual an opening that white can't transpose into more comfortable lines, but as long as I am comfortable with those lines, that's OK.

I've ordered Palliser's popular book Tango! A Complete Defense to 1 d4 and once I've booked up on it I'll post a game or two with an evaluation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think Troyis may be responsible for your affinity for knights. don't forget to move some other pieces too! ;)

the Kenilworthian blog posted a "knightmare repertoire" incl the tango, but i guess you've already seen that.

11/04/2006 05:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home