Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Nobody studies openings as effectively as I

Working on my response to the Sicilian (as white) last night, I ended up spending at least an hour on a very interesting sideline in which white sacrifices a knight on move seven but ends up with a crazy attack that black just can't stop.

How many times has this interesting sideline occurred in my database? A whopping 0.0% of the games!

A back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that this opening will occur in roughly 0 games in my lifetime. Time well spent!

3 Comments:

Blogger King of the Spill said...

Sounds like you have discovered a novelty. If the position before the sacrifice actually does occur, you really do have something.

7/13/2006 04:38:00 AM  
Blogger katar said...

If you are preparing for specific instances, then yeah, it's probably wasted.

But if you can generalize that attacking concept to similar (although not identical) situations, then it's not wasted time at all! :)

7/13/2006 08:10:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

First the Blackmar-Diemer. . .now this.


I'm spotting a trend here. . .


[grin]

7/13/2006 08:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home