Tuesday, April 05, 2005

One more narcissistic blog

In fact, this is a particularly narcissistic blog, as I am hoping it will help me to improve my chess game.

After vaguely knowing the rules of chess most of my life, I started playing it earnestly about six weeks ago. I am not a willing participant in this cult, but was dragged here because nobody likes to play my favorite game, Hex . After six weeks of playing chess, I entered a tournament in Raleigh, North Carolina and lost 3/4 games, ending up with a provisional rating of 900. That puts me in the F class, which is the bottom 10% of all rated chess players.

At any rate, just saying hello for now and seeing if this blog actually works. I'll post some content later.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you will be a good player very soon.

4/05/2005 08:59:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Thanks, Julia.

Eric

4/05/2005 09:08:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Welcome to the chess blogosphere!

Ratings are all relative. If you have fun playing, that's all that really matters in my opinion.

Best of luck with improving your game. If you're like most players, your first tournament has more to do with nerves than really assessing your chess skills. There's nothing as intense as sitting across the board from another human being in a competitive setting. It's very addicting :)

4/06/2005 02:00:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Chris.

It was definitely scary playing in my first tournament. As I approached the door to the hall I almost lost my nerve and went home, thinking I was jumping in way too soon. To gather courage, I thought to myself, "Hey, it's just a bunch of chess geeks. What's the worst they can do to you besides beat you at chess?" This made me laugh and go for it.

The final game, game 4, was pretty taxing intellectually. It was 9 hours into the tournament and my mind was working very slowly. I kept losing my train of thought and had to rethink positions. I was ahead in the beginning but made a stupid move, leaving my queen en prise! I resigned about three moves later.

On my one win, in game three, my opponent did the same thing. :)

4/07/2005 12:04:00 AM  
Blogger fussylizard said...

Hey that Hex game looks pretty fun. Of course I have already devoted all of my free time (and then some) to chess...

4/10/2005 04:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home