Saturday, June 03, 2006

I'd give the experience a 2 out of 4 (so, a C)

Played in my second tourney today. Drove a total of 10 hours yesterday and today, so am very tired.

I scored 2/4, winning both games as white. In one loss the guy, rated 1220ish, was flat out way better than me, playing the Fritz moves on basically every turn (I checked). Second loss, against 1030-rated spoiled little brat who will probably end up going to Duke someday, I was in serious time trouble and let him keep a rook he had left en prise because I was worried about a phantom threat and was in a rush. I wanted to drown myself after that oversight. One of my wins was a cheapo: I beat an 1130 with a Fried-Liver Attack, and mated him in 10 moves. The other win was against a ~700 rated player who moved all his pawns before his pieces, though put up quite a good fight the whole game. It was clear I was winning, so he tried to beat me on time, as he told me later. What a joy. I felt like my time-management skills were being tested more than any other of my chess skills today.

My overall impression? I don't ever want to participate in a tournament with 30 minute time controls again. It just wasn't enough time to really think through any moves that requried real thinking. In two of the games I was down to the wire and playing bullet chess at the end. At ICC, games of 30/30 are the minimum if I'm really gonna focus and think. I think I'll join the 45/45 league or something.

I met a few nice people, though some people clearly have the social skills of math grad students. An interesting mixture of older ubernerds (like me) and children of anxious yuppies. I don't think I learned any more about chess than I would have in four slow games at ICC. Add the driving time and expenses in, both of which I could have spent on chess, and it probably isn't the best use of my time if I want to improve at this game.

On a positive note, it was an absolutely beautiful venue: a campground nestled in the Blue Ridge mountains in North Carolina. There was a nice pond there with paddleboats, and the weather was perfect: 70s sunny and no humidity.

Next time I play in a tournament, it will have minimal 45 minute games!

7 Comments:

Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I never play in tournaments faster than G120. Half of the tournaments are even slower. (well, once a year I play rapid but that is to meet old acquaintences and not rated, so that doesn't count).

6/04/2006 03:58:00 AM  
Blogger Sancho Pawnza said...

Those time controls were pretty steep.
You should try to play in something like the LPO or the State Championships.
Still 2 out of 4 is pretty good for your first quick chess tournament.

6/04/2006 01:37:00 PM  
Blogger Friend of Plato said...

That's cool, man. Breaking even on your first OTB tourney is good stuff.

You gonna post your games?

6/05/2006 03:31:00 PM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Quando: I'll probably post a couple. In two of them I stopped recording moves as my clock got down to three minutes.

6/05/2006 04:05:00 PM  
Blogger takchess said...

If you ever find yourself back in the Granite State visiting relatives we haves some nice tournaments. One is on the 24th of this month. Also if your back at the holidays, the Boylston Chess Club 4 games on New year days is alot of fun.

6/05/2006 08:52:00 PM  
Blogger Friend of Plato said...

Cool, I look forward to seeing what you got (even if it does get cut off because of the time controls).

6/07/2006 03:34:00 AM  
Blogger King of the Spill said...

Congratulations on getting those two!

I also think 15-30 minutes is tough.

6/08/2006 02:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home