Friday, June 03, 2005

Tragedy Tuning

For my first precircle in the Divine Tragedy, I have been working through Tasc Chess Tutor (TCT) for about a month now: great stuff so far, if humbling. I have decided to tweak how I work through TCT, partly inspired by the many Knights who enjoy working minicircles. I am going to do TCT in 200 problem chunks instead of 400 problem chunks, which I have been doing. (What this means is that at the end of 200 problems I have to go back and redo those sections in which I scored below 80% on any test.) As I approach the end of the second set of 400 problems (Step 2 in TCT), I realize I have started to lose some momentum. Hopefully this addendum will help me stay motivated and perhaps even to learn the material faster. I'm sure that 8 out of 10 learning theorists would agree :)

To those of you who did Circle 1 by working through all of CT-Art with no stops, no mini-circles: my hat's off to you. I don't know how you kept motivated in the higher Levels!

Incidentally, I have been thinking about getting a chess tutor. I am an abject beginner, so it could help a lot. However, I am committed to the Tragedy and am worried he would want me to do a bunch of work that would steal time from MDLM. I work full time, am married, have a puppy (no kids), and really don't want to spend more than 90 minutes a day using this chess drug. Perhaps I'll wait until the Tragedy is over and see how I feel then.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have experimented with several chunking techniques.

The best technique I have found is to start off small - maybe 10 problems a day - and every day go back and cumulatively redo all the problems I previously did.

By the end of the level, I have all the problems down cold.

It seemed to have helped to increase my chunks - I'm up to 50 problems a day.

I posted a long response to Tempo about the chunking and spaced repetitions I use on my blog comments if you are interested. . .

6/03/2005 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Mini-Circle pros: manageable, easier to stay motivated as you always have the next chunk to look forward to solving

Mini-Circle cons: you bloody well might forget what you learn in the first mini-circle set by the time you finish you last mini-circle set. This is why it's important to follow mini-circles with Uber Circles.

6/03/2005 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Blue Devil,

I've also considered getting a tutor. However, I don't feel I have plateaued with regard to my knowledge and in my mind a tutor is best used to break through plateaus. Now, I'm sure some would disagree, but I've always done my best learning on my own. So, until I get to the point where I "just don't seem to get it," I will continue to self-teach.

6/03/2005 01:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home