Saturday, June 04, 2005

Chess in the real world

Partly based on a comment by Margriet, I finally got up the gumption to go into the real world for some chess today. Every Saturday the Borders Chess Club meets from 2-6PM in nearby Cary, North Carolina. I played a couple of games. In the first I didn't play well at all: I jittery and made a lot of blunders. The second was much more competitive, though still a loss. (If you came by the blog to visit, Spencer, hi and thanks for the games!) Overall I liked the atmosphere a lot: very low key and the people were quite friendly and helpful. The club attracts people with a wide variety of playing skills, not just a bunch of experts who will just smoke me every week. I take one day a week off from the Divine Tragedy, and may start making it Saturdays!

Also, at another book store every Thursday night a local chess guru gives a lecture where he walks the audience through a famous game! I have been once (showed up late, so missed most of the lecture), and it was great: I love hearing (as opposed to just reading) good players explain moves, especially basic elements of positional play. After the lecture, people pair off into games of chess. I hope to squeeze this into my schedule as much as possible.

I now see potential I hadn't thought of before when I decided to start playing chess three months ago: there is a global network of people, so that no matter what city I move to, there will surely be a group of folks I can hook up with to play chess, and more importantly, with which to fraternize.

Also, I have added the Kenilworth Chess Club to my sidebar: they have a great site, with many useful links (even annotated links to all the blogs of the Knights Errant!).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue Devil Knight,

How did you find the transition from the 2D board on screen to the real 3D board ?

My chess level is probably quite similar to what you describe about your own chess.
My first time, last week, at my local club was humbling to say the least. I could not 'see' anything and blundered my way to several losses. I felt it was due to the 2D - 3D transition more than just simply jitters. I am considering doing some tactical training on a real board rather than on my PC.

6/05/2005 03:17:00 AM  
Blogger Margriet said...

I'm happy for you, welcome to the living world of chess!

6/05/2005 10:11:00 AM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Interesting question, Phil. I definitely experience a few minutes of transition when I go from computer to over the board (OTB) play. Perhaps before playing OTB I should do some quick exercises on the board to force my visual system into the proper frame of referene!

6/05/2005 11:31:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home